- 12-14-05: I posted The Sternberg Saga Continues on Wednesday, December 14th. The post was a summary of the facts in the case, and was basically a review of what other bloggers and media outlets had put out already.
- 12-16-05: By that Friday, enough attention had been turned to the post that I summarized its coverage in Honorable Mention. I have found a few more references to the saga and updated accordingly.
- 12-18-05: By Sunday, I realized a little follow-up was necessary, ergo The Lingering Questions re Sternberg appeared at 5 AM. I focused mainly on Sternberg's handling of the paper, and on the OSC's handling of the investigation. To this day, one of the most troubling aspects of the situation, (to me at least) is the fact that the OSC didn't realize that Sternberg did not work for the Smithsonian, only at the Smithsonian, and that the "proper authorities" have not conducted an official and conclusive investigation since. If Sternberg has a case, there are other outlets for the OSC to hand its "evidence" over to. Also, the OSC's James McVay issued a personal letter (not in the capacity of representing the OSC) to Sternberg which lends credence to his claims. Problem is, this letter, self-described as a "preliminary determination" does nothing to give the Smithsonian a response or defense. Further, is this typical OSC conduct, or is Sternberg's case so politicized that when the agency drops a case it never had the legal right to begin they feel "compelled" to issue an explanation?
- 12-18-05: A little later Sunday morning, Thinking Christian notified us that a response from the DI was forthcoming, and I commented on it in Here Comes Trouble.
- 12-19-05: The next evening, Get Busy Livin', Or Get Busy Smearin' appeared on idthefuture, thanks to Jon Witt.
- 12-19-05: I mentioned Witt's post in I Expected None Other a few hours after it appeared.
- 12-19-05: I replied in full to Witt's "two strawmen and mushy spin-ach" in Dissecting a Frog, posted at 11 PM.
- 12-17-06: An update to the Sternberg Saga, in response to creationist Mark Souder's Congressional effort to further the spin. Steve Reuland has details.
________________
Technorati tags:
Sternberg, Witt, Discovery Institute, Intelligent Design, Evolution, Creationism
Struck by a virus on Christmas day you say? Very interesting timing don't you think? Could it be...SATAN? Hope you had a "Happy Holiday" otherwise!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your new iPod :)
Indeed, it may have been The EVIL One...but I have been serving him so faithfully!! I don't get it!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the iPod, sis.