Saturday, February 3

Proposed Dissertation

There won't be much writing (maybe none) here for the next two-three weeks.

I am currently writing up my defense of my proposed dissertation program. I have to present this to my committee (5 profs) and defend the relevance and method of this work. They quiz you on lots of the background science involved to get a feel for your capabilities. There are three possibilities: pass, fail (with or without one redo, at their discretion), and half-pass (modifications necessary). Once you pass, you are officially a Ph.D. candidate and no longer "just a grad student". If you do not, you may end up with an M.S.

I have already invested a lot of time and energy into this research, and I have no intention of changing it; I also have no fear they will reject it on its own merits. If they do not like it, then I am to blame, and not the topic. It will probably take me about two years from today (or so) to actually finish the Ph.D. I started in Fall '04, and our department's average time is 5.1 years to complete the Ph.D., so I'm on schedule.

In the (unlikely) event that you actually give a poop as to what I do, I will probably post the finished proposal here later. For now, suffice with the title:

"Oxidation of Fatty Acids and Sulfides with Chlorine Dioxide: Kinetics and Mechanism".

I made a vow a while back to have a simple and informational title, rather than the jargon-obscured titles that are so common these days.

So...sayonara for a few weeks.
________________
Technorati tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment