I found an interesting post on histones. It brought to mind the work of Tullius, as I commented, work in which he has demonstrated a correlation between the 3D structure of DNA and function. By "mapping" the DNA using hydroxyl (OH "dot") damage (comparing patterns induced by this non-specific oxidant reveals surface domains, etc), then looking at the data for correlations to promoter regions, introns, metal-binding motifs, etc., Tullius' work is moving us towards a stronger understand of how the 3D structure becomes integral in function. As of now, developing an accurate 3D model from a simple sequence of DNA is rather difficult. The biophysical parameters, like roll, twist angle, clash between adjacent bases, are somewhat well described by certain models, but more accurate models are desperately needed. Incidentally, Tullius' work can also be correlated to the histones by simply rerunning the experiments using protein-bound DNA. Those patterns can then be matched against the sequences in contact with the histones versus the free DNA sequences, then correlations could be shown to DNA-binding proteins and metals based upon "histone availability" or some other such factor.
Admittedly, I guess I got a "crush" on the guy's work when he came and gave our inorganic division a seminar a little while back, and I got to have lunch with him.
________________
Technorati tags: Chemistry, DNA, Tullius, Bioinorganic, Histones
No comments:
Post a Comment